Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population. Doctors work in medical clinics, hospitals, government or private practice. Irregular hours and may be self-employed.
Family Physicians ($150,000- $300,000) Actual amounts depend upon variables such as: contract, arrangements, overhead costs, etc.
RECOMMENDED HIGHSCHOOL COURSES
English 40S or French 40S
Biology 40S is required
Training & Education Routes
Doctor of Medicine M.D. (First degree, plus 4 years, plus 2-8 years in a residency program depending on specialty).
The Professional Health Program through ACCESS is a two to four year program preparing Aboriginal students for entrance into medical and dental schools or other health-related faculties.
Brandon University, Canadian Mennonite University, University of Manitoba, Continuing Education Division, and the University of Winnipeg offer pre-professional programs in Medicine.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
This document provides admissions information for applicants to the undergraduate MD program of the College of Medicine of the University of Manitoba.
Selection of students is the responsibility of the Admissions Committee which is a standing committee of the College of Medicine.
Admission to the College of Medicine is the result of a competitive selection process. The responsibility of the Admissions Committee is to select those applicants who are best qualified to make a contribution to the public and the profession.
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada at the time of application.
2. Bachelor’s degree completed
3. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT®)
4. Adjusted Grade Point Average (AGPA) of 3.30 or higher.
5. Minimum of 6 credit hours (full year or two academic terms) completed in Biochemistry at the university degree level with minimum grade of C in each course
6. Credit hours completed in the humanities/social sciences.
7. All applicants whose primary language is not English or whose previous education has been conducted in another language must demonstrate proficiency in the English language
8. The College of Medicine has identified the requisite skills and abilities for admission, promotion and graduation in the MD program.
9. All applicants must complete a self-declaration regarding criminal records, pending criminal charges and registration on the child abuse registry as an offender; this self-declaration must be done at the time of application.
10. All medical students must be eligible for, and become registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) by the time of registration.
For further details on admissions visit
If you are a high school student and seriously considering a career in medicine please follow the link:
LINKS TO SITES
Canadian Medical Association www.cma.ca
College of Family Physicians of Canada www.cfpc.ca
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Canadian Medical Program- from the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges
Society of Rural Physicians of Canada www.srpc.ca
Rural Manitoba Health Mentorship Program
University of Manitoba: Pre-Med Planner
Canadian Federation of Medical Students
Accepted- Help with the MCat, suggestions on interview techniques, and material on different medical schools www.accepted.com/medical/links.aspx
Aspiring Docs www.aspiringdocs.org
DOCTOR OF MEDICINE- UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA FACULTY OF MEDICINE
MINIMUM TIME TO GRADUATION:
Seven to eight years (University 1, plus 2 or three years to complete first degree, plus four years in the College of Medicine).