Nursing - Bachelor of Nursing
Registered nurses/ BN’s provide direct nursing care to patients, deliver health education programs and provide consultative services regarding issues relevant to the practice of nursing. They are employed in a variety of settings including hospitals, nursing homes, extended-care facilities, rehabilitation centres.
- Clinical nurse
- Community health nurse
- Critical care nurse
- Graduate nurse
- Intensive care nurse
- Nurse researcher
- Nursing consultant
- Occupational health nurse
- registered nurse (R.N.)
- Extended practice nurse
- Advanced practice nurse
General duty registered nurses perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assess patients to identify appropriate nursing interventions
- Collaborate with members of an interdisciplinary health team to plan, implement, co-ordinate and evaluate patient care in consultation with patients and their families
- Administer medications and treatments as prescribed by a physician or according to establish policies and protocols
- Monitor, assess, address, document and report symptoms and changes in patient's condition
- Operate or monitor medical apparatus or equipment
- Assist in surgery and other medical procedures
- May supervise other members of the health care team
- May develop and implement discharge planning process on admission of patients
- May teach and counsel patients and their families on health-related issues in collaboration with other health care providers.
- Occupational health nurses develop and implement employee health education programs and provide registered nursing care in private businesses and industry.
- Community health nurses provide health education and registered nursing care in public health units and through home visits, manage complex home care cases, participate in community needs assessment and program development, conduct disease screening and deliver immunization programs.
- Nursing consultants provide consultative services to institutes, associations and health care organizations regarding issues and concerns relevant to the nursing profession and nursing practice.
- Nursing researchers engaged in research activities related to nursing are self-employed or are employed by hospitals, public and private organizations and governments.
- Clinical nurses provide leadership, advice and counsel on the provision of research-based care for specific patient groups within the care of particular health care organizations.
- Extended practice nurses independently prescribe medications, order and manager results of screening and diagnostic tests, and perform minor surgical and invasive procedures.
Nurses today have an incredible variety of options in what kind of work they do.
You'll find nurses working outside hospitals in places such as:
Long-term-care centers (rehabilitation, nursing homes, hospice)
Community health clinics
Freestanding outpatient and surgery centers
Medical offices (eye doctors, dentists, obstetricians, surgeons, and others)
Nursing schools (as professors)
Corporate health centers (occupational safety, consultants, educators)
Other companies (pharmaceutical, medical technology, biotech, and others)
Research centers (research nursing)
Schools (including K-12, university clinics)
And the variety of nursing opportunities within hospitals is incredible:
Patient care units at the bedside
Operating rooms, trauma centers, and emergency rooms
Medical records or other hospital offices
X-ray and other diagnostic units
Intensive care units
Surgical and recovery units
Same-day surgery centers
Pediatrics, caring for children
Hospital nurseries or neonatal intensive care units, caring for newborns
Obstetrics, helping new moms give birth
Psychiatric and drug treatment centers
Helicopters and ambulances, caring for patients in transport to hospitals
University of St. Bonifcae
Toll Free : 1-888-233-5112, poste 408
Red River College
University of Manitoba
University College of the North
The Pas: (204) 627-8500
LINKS TO SITES
The Canadian Nursing Students' Association www.cnsa.ca
Manitoba Nurses Union http://manitobanurses.ca/
Canadian Nurses Association http://cna-aiic.ca/en
Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses www.caccn.ca
Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada www.ornac.ca
Aboriginal Nurses Association of Canada www.anac.on.ca